Illegal practise of the profession - Filing a complaint against a lawyer | Le Barreau du Québec
Annual registration Directory of lawyers

Doing business with a lawyer

Illegal practise of the profession

Do you believe someone is practising law illegally? Contact us to check whether they are a member in good standing of the Barreau du Québec and, if they are not, you can report the situation.

Reporting the illegal practise of the profession

To report a person who is practising law illegally, you must file a complaint with the Barreau. The Barreau will then go before the Court of Québec to put a stop to the person's activities.

If you wish to report such a situation, you have to complete form, accompanied by copies of the supporting documents, depending on the place of residence or practise of the person in question:

Island of Montreal Elsewhere in Québec
Bar of Montreal
Complaint form
Tel.: 514 866-9392
Barreau du Québec
Complaint form
Tel.: 514 954-3411
Toll-free: 1 844 954-3411


You can check whether or not a lawyer is a member in good standing of the Barreau.

Find out more

Info-Barreau 1 844 954-3411